Micrograph: Dirty Wasp Portrait
Publish date: Dec 7, 2019
- 4x Objective Lens
- 35 images focus stacked
- Focus Stack Software: Zerene
- Focus Stack Method: PMap
- Oh boy this dirty wasp needs a cleaning.
- Framing is not great. I wonder if I would have benefited from a bigger sensor.
- I used a sewing needle to hold the specimen, which almost broke his abdomen in half. I ordered some super tiny specimen pins online (100 for ~$4)
- I gave him about an hour bath in warm water
- A stereo microscope would be good for manual cleaning
- Isopropyl Alcohol and an agitated bath with soap is the next attempt for cleaning
- If that still isn’t enough, go with stronger chemicals like Decon 90 or Acetone
- I manually moved his antennae away from his eyes using another sewing needle - I think I broke them.
- I also dropped him way too many times when handling. I have to stop using my fingers to pick him up.